Start Distance Learning With Preparing Your First Online Class
So, you just signed up for Zeqr and are ready to share your knowledge with the world. But unfortunately, you don’t know how to prepare for an abundance of young people ready to dive in on your distance learning courses. You ask yourself – what does it take to create a carefully planned, informative and valuable class that would encourage the distance learning concept?
The success of any online course is in careful preparation and organization of the material you will be teaching about. That’s pretty much how the distance learning concept is alive and booming. Preparing the course material ahead of time will ensure you get positive feedback from your students or clients, as well as a clear path to follow to cover all points needed.
Below are 9 guidelines that will assist all experts and freelancers to organize their teaching materials and ensure success in their first ever distance learning course!
- Define your goal – Clearly defining the goal of the class will ensure that the material is directly related to what your student is looking to achieve. Since distance learning is difficult to master, you’ll have to decide on what is the most necessary content and ensure that the material is manageable throughout the entire length of your online class.
- Create an outline – Once you have decided on what your class will be about, build a clear, concise, and comprehensive outline to encourage those who seek distance learning. Provide this outline to your students prior to the beginning of your course, and you won’t make a mistake – that’s a guarantee! This level of organization will ensure that you and your student can stay on topic at all times, as well as have an insight into the topics that were covered as your class progresses.
- Be organized – Make sure that the outline has a logical flow that students can follow. This is an important aspect of the class because you don’t want to frustrate your students with loose material that does not follow any logic. Don’t make distance learning more difficult than it needs to be.
- Prepare visual aids – Consider the content of your material and how to best present it with visual aids such as charts, maps, comparisons, lists, and others. Certain individuals are visual learners and will benefit from visualizing the material. According to the University of Alabama, “Visual aids involve your students and require a change from one activity to another: from hearing to seeing. With pictures, the concepts or ideas that you present are no longer simply words – but words plus images. If students don’t clearly grasp the spoken word, a visual may help them to better absorb information.”
- Become the student – Record your session and replay it for yourself. Would you be satisfied with the material? You can also ask a friend to take the class and give you an unbiased opinion of the course. There are so many ways to ask for feedback on your future distance learning course.
- Anticipate Questions – Ask friends and family what questions they may have on your topic. A simple google search can also educate you on what people search for. Allocate enough time in the course for students to ask questions. You might want to ask your students to leave questions for the end so that you are not interrupted during the course.
- Assess your audience – Not all your students will have experience with online learning. Assess your students and determine if you will need to spend a few extra minutes explaining the online learning environment.
- Be Flexible – As much as you would like the course to flow in a smooth fashion, sometimes unexpected situations will occur where you will have to be flexible. That’s just how unpredictable the distance learning world is. Try to follow the outline as much as possible and cover the remaining material within the allotted time. Our pro tip is to leave some free time for your Zeqrs to ask questions, if they have any.
- Have fun – Teaching an online course is a wonderful way to meet new people, share your knowledge, and make a difference in many people’s lives. Distance learning programs are getting more and more interactive, and with Zeqr, we hope you’ll have fun and leave a delightfully positive experience on your students!